Elder Tanner Brooksby

Elder Tanner Brooksby
Rancho Cucamunga California Mission is getting one great missionary! Tanner has chosen to serve the Lord by giving 2 years of his life to dedicate his heart to testifying of the Savior. Thank You Elder Brooksby! We are so proud of you.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Tis The Fifth Chapter, Folks 9/12/16

Hiya! It's me! The missionary!

Well friends, I have done it. My first talk in the mission.

A few weeks ago Elder croft and I, along with our wardmates, were asked to give talks. And, my friends, we GAVE THOSE TALKS. And they were quite incredible. I spoke on faith, Elder Phillips spoke on repentance, Elder Croft spoke on baptism, and Elder Redhair spoke on the gift of the Holy Ghost. They were like, conference level talks.
I kid. They were not. But they were still really good! I was happy :D

I got my first investigator today! It's a funny story, so I shall tell it.

This past Wednesday I was on exchanges with Elder Ebona from Nigeria. I was really nervous because it was the first time I'd been left in my area with a new companion, and I was expected to plan everything and know what I was doing. HERE'S A SECRET: I did not know what I was doing.
So I threw down some random plans to see a few less actives and do some park contacting and we were off into the wild blue yonder! On the way to our first LA, (Who had moved and his apartment was rented by an Indian dude), Elder Ebona ripped his pants! He only had one pair because of exchanges, so we haad to run really quickly to a member we knew who repaired things like that. We got there right as she was about to leave, and she fixed his pants in 5 minutes! Talk about miracles! 
After all that we went to visit a part member family, the Ortegas. Sister Ortega is very active, but her husband was a member of a different church. We spent a long time talking to them, and Brother Ortega kept telling us that he only wanted to do what God told him to do. We taught him about receiving his own answer through prayer, and he committed to pray.
At the end of the lesson, though, I randomly said, "You know Brother Ortega, church is a really great place to go and gain answers from God. Would you like to come this weekend?"
He quickly explained that he'd been before, and how he wanted to learn the truth from God and not from people teaching, so I was just sort of like, "Okay, it was worth a shot."
And then. Sunday came.
AND HE WAS THERE.
I was like, "AHHHH!!!" I didn't see him until I was giving my talk, and then I met his eyes in the congregation and was freaking out in my head! It was the craziest thing ever. I didn't get to talk to him because we were teaching a few lessons that day in church, but I was happy :) Now we have a return appointment, and I have some hopeful dreams :D
Faith is real, guys. It's not something we get once and then we're done with. Peter walked on water only when he fixed his eyes on Christ. When he looked away to the wind and the waves, he wasn't focused on Christ anymore, and he sank! So focus your faith on Christ, and He will give you the strength to walk on the troubled seas of life like they were solid ground :)

I love you all! It's a really great boost to read your letters and emails! Don't stop believing, because that's when Satan'll getcha! Keep an eye single to the glory of God!

When in doubt, look toward whatever's hottest. That'll probably get you pretty close to California.

Bye!
Elder Brooksby the III

No comments:

Post a Comment